A new elearning module has been launched to introduce physicians in Australia and New Zealand to clinical genomics.
This interactive resource includes case studies, quizzes, tools and video interviews with physicians from a range of specialities who are already engaged in this field. It covers:
- The structure and function of the human genome
- The sequencing and testing process
- Some current applications in healthcare
- Discussing testing and results with patients and their families
- Ordering a genomic test or referring to genetics services
- Interpreting a genomic report
- Key ethical, legal and social issues
It draws upon expertise from Garvan genomics teams and a working group appointed by the RACP, including genetic and non-genetic specialists and members from the Human Genetics Society of Australasia’s (HGSA) clinical geneticist, genetic counsellor and laboratory scientist special interest groups.
‘Clinical Genomics for Physicians’ is hosted on the RACP’s elearning platform and can be accessed for free after registration: https://elearning.racp.edu.au